In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1397
Online now 1376 Record: 10351 (3/11/2012)
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
For fantasy football and other fantasy sports discussion
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
1. This will eliminate people inventing new user names over and over and over again.
2. Make it $5/user name.
3. Grandfather in people with a certain amount of posts.
4. The mods approve this plan.
5. Users approve this plan.
6. VIP members approve this plan.
Can someone link this on tBB for me? Due to a clerical error, I am not allowed to post there.
I would also ask that the mods here not lock or delete this thread.
Have a great day.
You really think he can figure out how to program that?
They aren't going to even entertain this idea until the traffic gets to a certain point(which we're not anywhere close to right now).
You're not helping.
Make the first screen name free, $10 for every change. No more than one change per year
VIP's get one free change per year.
No one gets multiple names per IP address
We will see some doofus get around the system but might slow Nucky to a snail's pace.
This actually a really good idea, and simpler than most make it sound. The answer is that from today forward it is a $x.xx charge for a new username. Those that are already here will not pay unless they are getting themselves banned and need a new name or they want to play the schtick game. In either of those situations, let them pay. No need to grandfather anything.
"Leave the gun.....take the cannoli"
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel."
It'll be coming along with multi-quote in 2017!
Your concern is palpable nucky. And no, 247 wouldn't accept your bridge card or mom's WIC.
"losing Caleb Benenoch is a blow that Dantonio will never recover from. Izzo has lost it as well. Hoke and Beilein own the state."
The only thing I would add is that if the user manages to go 2-3 months without being banned, they get their $5 back.
Thanks to tSearch Function I can't find my original suggestion thread on this topic, but you have my whole hearted endorsement.
I think the problem is that there are less than a half dozen "problem" posters/trolls who get nothing but a kick out of flaming, being racist, being trolls, etc.
Short of a "charge for a screen name" method there are a couple of things that could be done to root out the bad actors:
1. Expand moderation. Yes, we all hate the Mods, but the sad reality is that since the move the vast majority of the Mods are barely here anymore, with no "report post" function we're supposed to send them a message and hope that they catch the person the next time they log on/realize they have a PM? Sorry but no, that ain't working. Trevor just needs to "clean house" a bit and bring in some new moderators, preferably the "good actors" who are actually on the board in significant chunks and tend to positively contribute. SpartanRocky was a good move... but guys like Forbin and AA just aren't on the board as much as they used to be.
2. More VIP exclusive stuff... I know this will end up harming more people than it helps, but within the current framework, this is the only way to get more people to engage in discussion and keep the trolls out. Like, maybe, a VIP only board?
3. Higher tolerance levels... just let some of this stuff go. Being less quick on the draw to ban people means there will be less new screen names being created... meaning less of a pain. Sure we might have to live with a few more troll posts but at least we'll know who they're coming from time after time, which means we can put those individuals on ignore function, and actually NOT have to be subjected to a new screen name every 2.45 days.
I think we should charge posters $1 every time they respond to a troll or flame post. If people didn't respond to them, then it wouldn't be an issue.
Wouldn't you just be able to use a proxy to create/log in with the schtick name?
I would just like to go back to the days when they weren't all UM related and 1/100 were kind if funny.
Dr Leo, tolerate more? Jesus...this is the most loosely moderated board around. There are only a couple posters that are auto-bans and the whole board agrees on them.
Sparty is our mascot, we are Spartans.
I say just start posting ip address and or email addresses. Then take that information to the seedy underbelly of the internet (4chan) and have those people find personal information. Next, we kill the person responsible. Problem solved!
"Put your mother in a straight-jacket you punk ass white boy." ~ Mike Tyson
/b/ will make them post naked pictures of their wives/GFs, then shit in their mailbox every day for the rest of their lives.
I don't think you quite understand how the Internet works....... I could post from 20 different IP addresses an hour if I was so inclined. Your proposal changes nothing.
"As far as the downvotes. It's a gnat biting an lion"
-- A member of tRCMB Justice League, taking the internet WAY WAY too seriously.
Because you can't mask IP addresses or use fake yahoo accounts or anything. See poster, Ross....
This I agree with. For repeat offenders especially. Sure some might be masking their IP's but I'm going to bet that SpartyNO just used a new screen name and didn't bother to use a proxy. Make it so tRCMB has a reputation for posting personal information of trolls and there will be less of them.
Now knowing what 1995 is like all over again! Thank you 247 technology!!
Obviously for the seasoned losers (ross, nucky, etc) it wouldn't do anything. But I doubt all the um trolls we get are masking IPs.
I fully support this idea- money for a screen name. Where can I throw my $5 or $10?
Think of all the traffic Nucky makes. That's straight cash for 247 homey.
Every time I see that I want to ban people. Even the old board was stricter than this by far. Now we need to "let more stuff go"? Unreal.
Some of the rivals boards require permission to post there. So if mod bans username #784 for nucky and 2 minutes later there's a request from "Pablo Escobar" to post here you can decline it.
Get into the head of a troll, they want to be banned. Letting them run their course until they get bored may not be completely ludicrous.
I doubt trolling is a big enough problem board wide for this to be a priority and quite frankly I don't blame them.
the real solution is for tBarnes to go knocking on doors. to post, you have to have an electronic barb implanted in your balls. Each time a mod is unhappy you get remotely shocked.
...some of us would have cooked balls very quickly.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports