In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1444
Online now 1410 Record: 10351 (3/11/2012)
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
For fantasy football and other fantasy sports discussion
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
We will lay waste to the College Basketball world next year! Look out '76 Hoosiers, we're going undefeated!
Didn't know Schilling committed. My bad. Don't know much about him, but hopefully that could help.
Draymond was pretty good. We replaced him and I think this team beats last years.
Michigan State University is the university of Michigan
If we can replace Draymond, we can replace Nix.
Although come to think of it, we didn't really replace Draymond, we just had everyone else step up.
the sun will come out tomorrow, the grass will be greener, the lions will lay down with the lambs, tomorrow, onward 'til the new day breaks.
I agree. When we were playing our best, the offense went through Derrick. The offense is going to look different next year because for the first time in 3 seasons we don't have a point-forward or point-center.
I'm close to leaving to go to bed.
Will likely be back to being a more perimeter oriented team. The big lineup was an advantage this season in many situations with our guard play limited by ineffectiveness, injury, or both at various times.
Anyone. Anyplace. Anytime.
It will be interesting to see if we keep Payne at the 4 and go with Costello at the 5 - or if we play small and go with Dawson at the 4 and DV at the 3.
Depends on who is here.
If Payne is gone, obviously we're looking at far fewer options.
Wish I could upvote 1000000 times.
This is great news if it turns out everybody (but Nix) returns. You always figure returning players will get better, but maybe this is one team where the ceiling for improvement is a bit higher--mostly due to health issues. I am amazed at what Dawson did coming back from that injury. His ceiling for improvement is the sky is the limit. Harris too. Just getting healthy will make a big difference for Gary. Costello has a chance to make some huge strides as well. Trice was sick all last summer and could not work out, and now he can get stronger and better. These guys could all take huge strides this offseason. And Payne, IMO, has a chance to do what Draymond did.
I am disappointed the season ended like that, but I am over it. Moving into baseball mode already.
Its five o'clock somewhere.
I see what you're saying, there's a lot of room to improve though. Denzel can work on his ball handling and his jump shot, Gary can improve, Dawson is still so raw, the guy can make huge strides in the off season, and I fully expect Payne to be a star next season. The thing that this team really lacked was firepower on the offensive end in my opinion. Some will say leadership, I'm not one to act like I know how to characterize leadership on the hardwood. I thought Keith played his best basketball this season, I really loved watching this team. Duke gave MSU a lot of open jumpers last night that we couldn't knock down, and that is what hurt us the most this season IMO. I just hope the team becomes what it has the potential to be, I still think this group of guys can be special.
On a side note, thank you Derrick Nix. My favorite spartan of all time, truly sad to see you leave.
This actually just means it is a guarantee next season
You're a fucktard. Never really believed this term belonged to someone....then came you. You fucktard.
The quote function is almost vital in this situation
Nix was a beast inside. We will miss him. I hope he continues to get better. He will make a fortune in Europe and maybe the NBA.
I don't know about top 3. I think that Michigan will return everyone and I am not sure about OSU. I think IU will lose Olidebo and if they do they will take a step back.
I intentionally spelt his name wrong so as to disrespect him! Take that olidebo!
Burke is gone, after last night his stock is never going to be higher. I am almost willing to bet that Hardaway is gone as well.
Hardaway said after all Michigan's done for me, I'm not leaving early.
T Burke is gone. I think there's a good chance Hardaway and/or Robinson leave as well. It may sound crazy, but I wouldn't be shocked if Mitch McJesus left. Nothing like a big man showing up in the tourney to get the agents circling.
Indiana loses Hulls, Watford and most likely Oladipo and Zeller. They'll be a tourney team next season, but not likely to contend for the B1G title.
While Nix can be very effective at times, he struggles against shot blockers because he can't jump. He also hurts our fast break. When you get to the sweet 16 your going up against really athletic big men you need some quickness and the ability to elevate.
I think Costello makes a big stride this off season and the team is better.
I love this team next year. I have circled next year as being a great one for some time. This, in my opinion, is the most talented team we have had since 05 and next year will top it with an additional year of experience. There are a ton of very likely, high probability things that will most likely happen to put us in a great position.
1) We will be hungry as ever. Sounds cheesy but it's true. Every player, especially Dawson and Payne, have come a long long way as far as maturity goes since last year. I think those two especially, along with Appling as a senior, could have the offseason of a lifetime.
2) We should return everyone. It sounds like nobody is leaving. A small silver lining of losing this early? If we make a deep tournament run I think Payne and Harris could have gone.
3) Dawson can finally have a full offseason. We know this kid has the talent. He can have a full, healthy, offseason and really put it all together and develop that shot.
4) Nobody is hurt. It seems every year we have 1/2 our roster out with injuries. Nobody is out which won't just help as on an individual level but as a team as well.
5) The freshmen factor. We have Costello and Valentine really contributing toward the end of the year. I think we will see big leaps for those two with an offseason that has perspective.
6) Which bench player steps up. Gauna, Byrd, Kaminski. Can one of these guys step up and get solid minutes. Next year will be Gauna and Byrd's fourth year in the program. It is time for one of them to step up and give a few solid minutes off of the bench. Will it happen, who knows. I would imagine that one of them will bring it up a notch though.
7) The schedule. This really doesn't do much for a run but makes us feel all good inside. No team will be able to compete with us next year except Ohio State. Indiana will take a huge step back, Wisconsin will be Wisconsin, Michigan will most likely lose Tim and Trey. I know we want a hard schedule but with this team I think early losses won't be as bad as they usually are and we can grab a high seed, finally avoiding shitty as matchups.
Just a few thoughts. Also, I know recruiting didn't work out for us this year, but damn we are in on some talent for 2014 (http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Targets). Alexander is basically all but ours as well.
Someone better tell Fat Caputo, because he's blabbering through gasping mouth breaths about Nix, Payne and Harris leaving as well as UM obviously having passed MSU as the blueblood BB program in the state of Michigan.
It warms my heart to see the Ticket continue to support the American with Disabilities Act by continuing to employ that asshat.
Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports