In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1584
Online now 1598 Record: 10351 (3/11/2012)
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
For fantasy football and other fantasy sports discussion
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
good pts.....I said 9-3 at start of year but thought we'd beat O$U...so I'll have to downgrade to 8-4 I suppose....could be more or less depending on both lines. The oline's issues are apparent but the dline played very poorly yesterday IMO. I'll take 8-4 and run with it at this time but 7-5 wouldn't shock me. 6-6 would suck BALLS but losses to scum,UN,Wisky and Nwestern are all very possible. If we go 2-2 against those 4 teams we'll be 8-4. If we go 1-3 then we end up at 7-5. 0-4 would result in a 6-6 record and it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Although I'm guilty of this at times...
Who gives a fuck if you get downvoted? It's a god damn stupid feature.
I'd say the O took two steps forward and the D took one step back.
This opening drive handing away a TD needs to get cleaned up. It's like we just sit in base the whole first drive to 'feel them out' and then crank it up from there. Really disappointed in the lack of pressure. Denicos, Bell, and Sims should all try to cut 5 to 10 pounds as we need speed not power from them.
Thought Ruhland did a pretty good job. A bit surprised a bit that Allen didn't slide over and insert Treadwell as I thought he was the wunderkind Center in waiting.
What a fucking horrible weekend. Wisconsin both looks better, but not good enough to beat Nebraska OF COURSE, and OSU looks like they just might be shitty enough to let Nebraksa or Michigan knock them off. No matter what problems we have, if we don't make it to Indy/Pasadena with the state of this decrepit league after the mountains we climbed with no rewards the last 2 seasons it will be both very heartbreaking, and very Same old Spartans of us (the doing the work and not getting the reward way, not the collapse way).
Gotta say I really hoped Hankins was HURT BADLY after his shitty antics and statements before the game, especially when he was ripping at Bell's helmet on the play he was hurt. (Insert Downvote here).
My "evil fucking year" from Rocky's preview of OSU seems to fully and completely apply to this year. IS 5 OL injuries in 5 games enough for the year? PLEASE?
Marriage is like flying with kids, if the flight had 500 connections, never ended, Ted Striker were your pilot and you ate the fish.
I play a lot of Madden?
I got down voted to oblivion when I tried posting this yesterday :-)
I'm +24 so far... maybe it's a timing thing.
spot fucking on.....btw: fat ass Hankins was resting. Fat fuck came back fresh as a daisy
Lippett looked much better yesterday. Still had a drop or two, but late in the game he was making plays. Fowler was terrible again. Hes dropping gems out there. Maxwell cannot put the ball in a better spot than he has for Fowler and he still cant catch the ball. I dont care how good of a route runner he is, he shouldnt be playing because he cant catch the ball. More Arnett, more Burbridge, more Kings. Especially those last two. We burned the redshirts, so they better get some playing time.
Honestly, I'm encouraged...
Baby, I'm amazed...
Not that I'm writing off this season, but assuming our offense progresses, next year we should just shoot ourselves if we don't win the Legends Division considering we lose Wisconsin and OSU off our schedule.
The RCMB...is one of the most awful, alarming, inappropriate, disgusting, and offensive msg boards in the history of the internet.
Hopefully Maxwell can carry the offense because we will have no running game next year.
Would love to hear your reasoning behind this analysis.
When doing so, keep in mind what most people thought would happen to our running game after Ringer left and two unknown guys replaced him.
Our running game was terrible that year.
Nick Hill and Tompkins will most likely be our top 2 RB's. Add in our offensive line who will most likely be shitty again and our running game will be awful. Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't see us running the ball well at all next year.
Do you really see Bell leaving early at this point?
As of right now I think he is the #2 RB prospect so yes
I don't think there's a sure L on the schedule, but I don't know that there are any sure wins outside of IU this week. Probably more likely than not to beat IU, Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota.
I do think MSU has played the two most athletic teams on their schedule already. Here are the "questions marks" that I have going forward:
1) Offensive line: moving more and more towards patch-work. Started the year with 8-9 serviceable guys, lost 3 in Fonoti, Treadwell and Jackson. Treadwell coming back could help, but they have basically 2 games to gel before it's do or die time. No one other than McDonald looks great, and you can't just have 1 good O-lineman.
2) Secondary RB. I love Bell, but the best rushing Os these days have 2 quality runners (note: that includes running QBs). Oddly enough, I expected him to get heavy carries against ND and tOSU, but he had under 20 in each contest, despite MSU never being down more than 11 at halftime. Caper's looked solid the few carries he's received; we saw it in 2008, Ringer had a big individual year and the rushing O was anemic overall.
3) QB/WRs: this is getting better, I think Sims/Mumphrey are the go-to guys with Fowler having his spot locked up. With Lippett getting most of the #3 looks, I think the door has all but closed on Arnett, Burbridge and Kings. Still too many drops though.
4) Special teams. Holy hell. Missed FG in 5 straight games, kicker is 3/3 from 50 yards out, but misses 30-45 yarders. Coverage units are still a mess, and MSU kicked the ball out of bounds on a kickoff.
5) DTs/pass rush. DTs are just not physical; really miss Worthy's ability to affect the opposing OL. More attention can be paid to Gholston/Rush, and their production is down because of it.
Michigan State does not and will not run the 3-4 defense.
+1 for the OP, we did see a few good things yesterday...
1. Receivers made plays. Yes, there will still drops, including a few on perfectly thrown balls by Maxwell. BUT, Mumphery's TD is our single best play of the season so far. He started getting at what, the 20? Still managed to fight for the score.
2. Maxwell looked quite good. Didn't make more than a couple of mistakes, made a few absolutely perfect throws, and was generally finding wide-open guys downfield. An encouraging sign.
3. The rushing yardage we gave up is incredibly misleading. Yeah, it's a big number. But how many of those yards came in the red zone, where they would really hurt us? Defense didn't break at all and nearly won the game for us.
4. We forced three TO's, should have had a defensive touchdown, and dropped a couple of other INT's. We need to see that consistently during conference play if we're going to make any noise, yesterday was a good start.
tRCMB - Visit at your own risk of being disgusted.
I feel like it's 2008 all over again, but with a better D.
1. QB who makes plenty of throws but inexperienced WRs drop the ball regularly? Check
2. 1 RB taking 90+% of the carries, great individual season, bottom half of the conference in rushing? Check.
3. Mediocre pass rush, solid back 7 play? Check (2012's LBs/DBs are better than '08s though).
What's your take on the pass rush? Have opposing o-lines figured out how to defend Rush and Gholston, or have they taken a small step back?
We can play the odds at this point and just say the running game will stink. It hasn't been good since Ringer/Caulcrick.
4-4 Big10 record
"Put your mother in a straight-jacket you punk ass white boy." ~ Mike Tyson
Gholston made most of his biggest plays when he was unblocked; Worthy lined up at the 3-tech on his side of the field often, meaning the OT had the option of doubling Worthy. When that happened, Gholston could use his natural athletic ability to make some huge plays.
Now Gholston is not only being blocked on most snaps by the OT, but he's double teams at times. The current DTs can't take advantage of their one on one match-ups, and the overall effectiveness of the line has decreased. To have a strong DL, you need at least 2 players who can make an opponent pay for blocking them one on one. Worthy was one of those types of players. Not sure if Gholston is there yet, though opponents are running plays away from him and at least giving him an OT to play with .
Probably most disappointed with White this year. He had such a strong bowl game (7 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 blocked K) that I thought he'd continue to progress. Quite frankly I think he's too big; he can't move effectively and has shown very little burst. Reynolds is in his first year full-time at the position and has been o.k. Kittredge is the most effective player on the interior.
I'm not sure what's going on with Hoover. I'd assume he's hurt; I don't remember him playing against EMU or yesterday.
I'll be enthused when all the "progress" results in Spartan wins. Moral victories should be far behind this program.
7-5 would be a huge disappoitment and a step backwards
It should also also mean changes on the coaching staff. The home schedule this year was no worse than 8-4
I just can't get over how bad the receivers are - they look especially horrid when you see the drops in slo mo. They either turn their heads late, or trap the ball against their body (which is always a sign of a bad receiver) or let passes go right through their hands
Very easy right now to scheme against MSU - play 8 in the box and dare the passing game to beat you.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports