In partnership with CBSSports.com
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
He also said he sent her white roses at the hospital. Where did he send them? Did they call and say there is no one here by that name?
Listening as well, and I just heard some notable sports figure say he feels sorry for Teo being duped.
I'm so perplexed by the stupidity of that individual that I didn't even get his name.
Geezuz...i'm going crazy. I need to debate this in person with someone who believes he was duped! It would be so enjoyable.
Teo said the family preferred not to be contacted. He either talked to his fake girl friend's family or he lied. He should be asked "What fake family member did you talk to?"
The part that's giving me a longer pause is that both Te'o and his dad said he met Kakua in person. That's a bold-faced lie. Now, if he comes out and said he did that because he was embarrassed that it was an on-line relationship . . . maaaaaybe. But he made up too many details, especially about eyes meeting and hand-holding.
At the very least, ND is covering for the fact that they allowed the publicity to continue up to and through both the Heisman trophy ceremony and the NC game. That's pretty shady in of itself.
The other concern is who the heck was the chick that he supposedly talked to every night and fell asleep to the sound of her voice? Let alone his phone showing an 8 hr call. I don't know about your phones, but my mine would be dead after about 4 hours of straight talk time. I guess he could have plugged it in any night, but that's going to burn out your phone pretty quickly. No one's named this mystery girl that provided the voice for Kakua.
So at the very least he greatly embellished their relationship.
Michigan State does not and will not run the 3-4 defense.
So they hired an investigator to check it all out and they believe him? They could just look at his quotes in the paper and know he is a liar.
did they hire Clouseau?
As the big game with No. 10 Michigan State approached, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o had a heavy heart after he learned his girlfriend had lost her fight with leukemia.
Why Notre Dame/Te'o sat on it is easy. They were trying to win a national championship and this would have been a distraction of epic proportions. It's a shit storm either way, but if there was no criminal element involved (that we know of), why wouldn't they wait until after Jan. 7?
Teo was either part of the hoax from the beginning or was duped and chose to then lie about it so as not to look like an idiot. Being part of the hoax seems much more logical.
Posting member of tRCMB since 1997.
It is ALWAYS a great day to be a Spartan!!!!
Yeah, there was no reason for ND to publicy humiliate their own. And they almost made it through this as it went on this long.
I just checked ESPN's SportsNation, and they have a poll as well:
What do you believe about Manti Te'o and his relationship to the story about his non-existent girlfriend?
He was the victim of a hoax - 17%
He was involved in the hoax - 48%
I'm waiting for more details - 35%
Currently with 1,318 votes.
Count me in the 48%.
SportsNation is the place for sports fans to express their opinions and interact with ESPN.
ND had no intention of releasing this information. Their hand was forced when somebody tipped Deadspin off.
He's a Mormon, football player and goes to Notre Dame and in the Deadspin article it said there was some guy out in California that seemed to be involved and knew Teo...
How is not 100% obvious to everyone that Teo is gay and this was a cover-up?
This post was edited by JMCSpartan08 18 months ago
From the CNN article:
"They started out as just friends. Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple. And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."
This is all you need to read to know this whole thing is BS.
I'll go with stupidity and/or naivety as the reason why Te'o made the whole thing up. The problems with the "innocent victim" angle are:
1. It means he and his dad are either lying to the media about meeting her at Stanford, or others somehow conspired to arrange a meeting with a perpetrator and Te'o and convince him to fall in love with her which would be impossible because this person would not be the same person that was in photos.
2. It means he and his dad are either lying to the media about her travelling to Hawaii, or an impostor actually traveled to Hawaii and pretended to be Te'o's girlfriend, and somehow looked enough like the girl in the photos to be convincing.
3. It means that several people were in on the hoax, as someone would need to be making regular "hours long" phone calls to Te'o in a female voice that he recognized as his girlfriend and could also call back regularly, while other individuals posed as family members.
4. It means that during the course of their friendship and "romantic" relationship that they NEVER used video technology to communicate. Not once. No facetime, no Skype, no video messaging. Also, no cell phone pics being texted back and forth because the photos the perpetrators had were limited to whatever they could get from some random girl's facebook account.
5. It means that at no time did Te'o or his family (after learning that his girlfriend was in a serious car accident) bother to visit the hospital, contact the hospital, send anything to the hospital, etc. Further, no one in his family attended the funeral or even contacted the funeral home directly.
6. It means that perpetrators had some kind of motivation, as well as insanely good planning/diversion tactics that they carried out for months/years to create this elaborate hoax on a player who was relatively unknown when it started, and they just happened to time it perfectly to coincide with a spectacular season of football, blaring media coverage, the death of his grandmother and so on.
Even if Te'o was an "innocent victim", he still lied to everyone about the extent of their relationship and continued that lie after learning that he was hoaxed. The university also continued the lie as to not distract the team during preperation for the NC game. Not exactly a banner day for ND or Te'o either way.
Boom. Perfectly said.
Boys, I may not know much, but I know chicken shit from chicken salad. -- Lyndon Johnson
Umm... This is her twitter page. I'm assuming it's not fake because it shows a couple of tweets from Te'o. There is a tweet from "her" that was made just yesterday and one that was made 10 minutes ago.
Instantly connect to whats most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.
This post was edited by Sp4rt4ns 18 months ago
I'm going with the theory that he made the whole story up as cover for the fact that he didn't have a girlfriend on campus...
'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable'
- President John F. Kennedy
Manti, thanks for the diversion.
The most damning piece of evidence for Teo is that 2 days after his "dead girlfriend" called him at an awards banquet, he mentions in an interview, (paraphrasing), "I hate cancer. Cancer killed my grandma AND my GIRLFRIEND".
So, he talks to his dead girlfriend, freaks out that she's still alive, starts to believe he's being hoaxed and then 2 days later makes it a point to say that his GF was killed by cancer?
But he said he met her in person....looked into her eyes...held hands. And from there the relationship started. At what point did the duping start? When he was sent pics of a girl that wasn't the same girl he met?
Huh? How does making up a fake dead girlfriend equate to a homosexual cover-up. I fail to see how the two could possibly relate.
Lance is hoping the hostage thing goes.....
As far as Manti, I will wait for the made for TV movie and see what Spike Lee has to say about it:-)
Ummm not coming out to your team, school, family etc.?
By the way, on the radio today they were reading an article that interviewed an anonymous ND player who said that they all believed that Te'o was playing up the girlfriend with Leukemia thing because all the while he was getting it on with girls in South Bend. That kind of hurts the theory. Also, I think it is probably better to be labeled as gay than what he will be if it becomes clear that he was behind this hoax. Dude will be seen as the biggest headcase that ever existed.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports