In partnership with CBSSports.com
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
I agree with you completely. With that said, Indiana should not be in the top 3 if you base it on what teams have done. Indy hasn't done anything to this point. The two times they played away from Bloomington, they needed OT to beat GTown and lost to an average Butler team. No, I'm not sold on Gtown. They haven't beaten anybody.
This is how I would rank the top half of the Big Ten taking into account who you have played, beaten and lost to.
1) UM - Win against KState looks a helluva a lot better since last night. I'm not really sure about Pitt and NC State has not looked good this year. They don't have the best wins, but they have not lost with a pretty good schedule. They deserve to be at the top. I really wish we had a shooter like Stauskas.
2) Illinois- Wins @ Gonzaga and blow out against Butler were impressive. I do not think they are the 2nd best team but they deserve to be here based on resume. I do not like they way they play. Mizzou out rebounded Illinoise by 23!
3) MSU - Best win of the conference (Kansas). Put up the best FG% against Texas than any other team. (Texas with a top 5 defense). Bad loss to Uconn.
4)IU - Wins vs. Gtown (Neutral) and blow out at home vs. UNC. Loss to Butler.
5)Minny - Wins vs Memphis, Stanford, and USC are decent. Blow out loss to Duke.
6) OSU - Has not beat a team with a pulse. Lost to two very good teams (Kansas/Duke)
If I was ranking teams based on how good I think they are:
1) IU - will not lose at home.
2) MSU -rounding into form. Will have to make perimeter shots to end up here.
3) UM - would be #1 if I think they could guard at a better rate. Offense is pretty scary.
4) OSU - Who can score besides Thomas?
5) Minny - Don't trust 'em but they are deep.
6) 'noise - Too many 3's and no rebounding/defense.
This post was edited by Handbanana 19 months ago
Playing devils advocate. Florida's best win was at home against Wisconsin, which we all know started the year vastly overrated! They lost to Arizona and UM (both ranked). Maybe FLA is overrated a tad? They played a nice string of cupcakes! As for KSU, they have improved as the season went on. They have a new coach. However, UM starts the B1G season on top, but for how long will they remain?
Pitt has played ZERO road games and their best wins are against Detroit and OU! Lol... West Virginia is 6-5! I like how UM fans act like Uconn and Miami are weak, but then turn around and talk up WVU and Pitt! Miami is 8-1 and Uconn is 9-2 and was ranked earlier this year! NC State is ok, but they would be 6th or 7th in the B1G!
This post was edited by Sparty74 19 months ago
I have to disagree on "dominant". The only 2 decent teams they played were one possesion games in the final second. If Ted Valentine doesn't pull a classic "look at me everyone" offensive foul and waive a bucket off NC State might have won that game and they're not a good team. Pitt too. FTs that game were 22-11 and it was still a 3 point game w/ just seconds left.
They have blown out a bunch of bad teams. They have not played a good team let alone a good team on the road. Let's see how their 3 pointers look with tired legs after they actually have to play D in a game.
What a fucking joke of an attitude.
This looks pretty good...I'll put Illinois and Ohio State ahead of Michigan if they can produce a better inside game.
The B1G is tough and teams that live and die on the 3 point shot and are weak on the inside are risky picks to compete for the title.
NC State did beat Uconn.
NC State is a lot better than people in this thread want to give them credit for.
I don't see any team with less than 4 losses, in the Big Ten this year. The top 4 teams will probably split with each other.
So you don't think UM's inside game will improve over time? Seems naive.
As of today, Michigan has beaten three ranked teams
Who have a third as many votes as MSU's ranked wins. Those three teams have a whopping combined 1 win over a ranked team.
mmhmmm not nearly as good as Uconn and Miami. They have 2 wins over ranked teams.....of course they are both us....ouch.
This has been an enjoyable thread to lurk. I agree with mostly everything you guys have been stating. For those not optimistic about your season, don't lose sight of the Kansas victory. That was very impressive. Also, be happy you aren't OSU. They are not worrisome as an opponent and if I had to cheer for a team that plays the way they do, I'd jump off a bridge.
3. Michigan State
12. Penn State
We have looked dominant in nearly every game played this year. K-State, Pitt and NC State are more impressive than people are crediting them for, albeit I am not saying they are top-15 teams. High quality wins against legit talent nonetheless. Our shooting percentages are outrageous and I do not see them sliding when B1G play starts up. Lastly, Burke is special. The sky is the limit with a point guard of his calibre. We will most likely hit a few bumps in the road, but we are extraordinarily talented and I'm excited to see how we fare against top competition.
Indiana scares the living shit out of me. I am confident we can and will beat them this year, which is why I have us ranked above them (plus they have a loss) but they are as good as any team in the land. If Zeller and Oladipo catch fire in a game, they will beat anyone.
You guys frighten me as well. The Kansas win was very impressive, given how they've played this year. I thought they looked great against OSU. You guys obviously have the talent and Izzo is your coach, thus I put nothing past your squad this season. I do not envision a final-four run in the tourny, but who knows if something clicks come B1G play.
- Minny has the athleticism and confidence to take down any team they face as well. They are a team I do not want to face.
- Unsurprisingly, OSU has not impressed me this season. There is still time for that to change, but they will need to inject some sort of magical shooting efficiency potion for that to happen.
- B1G play will be spectacular. Nearly every game will have entertainment value.
Good luck this season.
Well reasoned, fair, unbiased analysis.
Downvote for michigan fan.
6. Ohio State
12. Penn State
Hate away but I think Indiana is overrated and still vulnerable away from Bloomington. I'd take MSU's win over Kansas against any other win any B10 team has right now. UM is very good but I also think beatable and that their OOC schedule set up pretty well for them. They'll drop 4-6 games in B10 play.
Minnesota has a lot of potential. They're very young and athletic. I think the top eight teams make the tournament and I think Iowa can be very dangerous as well. They're well-coached and much improved, I think they win 20 games this year.
Purdue, Wisconsin and Nebraska are all teams I could see being pesky as the season goes on. I'm sure they'll get better. Ohio State is another younger team like this that could get hot but right now looks a bit lost.
Should be a great B10 season.
So you think your freshman is gonna keep hitting 50+% for the entire year? Good luck with that.
I do believe he has a good chance at maintaining above 50% for the year. I offered a sig bet on tBB (was never taken) that he'd end the year above 47.5%. I understand how impressive that would be, but he is 34-61 for 56% through a dozen games, I'm done being convinced. He was shooting equally as well in preseason both at practice and in games.
A lot of Michigan fans understandably disagree with me on this, but I'm fairly certain he will continue to shoot at this rate. The shots he's missed are primarily wide open or shot clock chucks, which is why the improved B1G defenses don't worry me much on his end.
If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it, I've just always been confident in him as a long distance shooter.
The B1G is full of really good teams that have great scouting. They will be ready for him, so he can kiss his open shots goodbye. That percentage will drop significantly my friend!
You are out of your mind. You aren't playing Binghamton and Eastern Michigan anymore. Only teams from the best conference in America night in, night out.
"RCMB: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainry." - some dude from MgoBlog
1. IU - still the best team in the B1G, and maybe the country, despite the loss to Butler.
2. UM - this team has chemistry and is running Beilien's system perfectly. All the pieces are there for a special season.
3. MSU - lots of talent as usual, and starting to click.
4. OSU - played a near-perfect game against Duke until the last minute, but still lacking a player or two.
5. Illinois - I love watching Brandon Paul play. This team will win some huge games in the B1G this year.
6. Minny - Glad Tubby has a good team, they'll be really dangerous next year.
7-12 - don't know or care.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports