In partnership with CBSSports.com
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
#1 2000 National Championship
#2 2000 - Pummeling defending Champ UConn at Breslin. This seems to get forgotten by people, but I remember all the hype leading up to it. While walking up to Breslin, someone offered me $500 for my student ticket. While that buys a lot of beer, I still turned him down. That game was alley-oop after alley-oop.
#3 "They stopped the clock, Jim. They stopped the clock when they shouldn't have." Probably the most entertaining game I had seen live.
#4 Smoker to Haygood on 4th and 10. Maybe the loudest I ever heard Spartan Stadium.
#5 2000 Citrus Bowl. Penalty points because the bowl system is lame.
#538,938,904 Tyrell Dortch's leg injury.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by rabidgiraffe 19 months ago
1-2011 scum beat down....the amount of shit talking I did and people I screamed at made this day a day to remember. It made it four straight and none of my scum friends spoke to me for months
2- little giants- I was stunned
3- rocket- the stadium detonated and we partied all night
4-being in Indy for our big ten tourney win- went to Indy with family talked shit got drunk and watched msu own everyone. Made a drunk Wisconsin fan want to fight me I heckled him so much
5- sending baseball hockey football and basketball to the post seasons when no other school could say that - just shows where our school is headed and how well rounded we are.
I must admit I was blessed to be at msu during these times
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by stoops21 19 months ago
To die in ann arbor is redundant
I hate these young fucks that got to witness all the great stuff as students. I was 91-96 so it's pretty thin.
1) 95 MSU-SCum. Awesome game, 4th quarter was great. The winning TD drive was legendary.
2) 93 MSU-SCum. Really beat them up badly. Only time I got to rush the field and I think the last time it was rushed before being lowered.
3) Perles getting fired
4) Chad Alban, MSU goalie scores an empty netter. Extremely rare and Munn went nuts when it went in.
5) Munn field tailgating before the keg ban neutered it some and before it completely was ruined by the alcohol ban.
Posting member of tRCMB since 1997.
It is ALWAYS a great day to be a Spartan!!!!
I have to amend number 5. Watching Shawn Respert play in person and up close in the student section was really enjoyable. Best stroke I've ever seen. Really fun to watch him play. His final game in Breslin with the shot over Finley and the kiss of the S was awesome. As an added bonus that summer they played the the Jud All Star tribute game. Magic and Smitty both lit Breslin up for 40+. Seeing those 2 play in person was amazing.
#1. 2000 National Chanpionship. Speaks for itself
#2. Clockgate. My Walmart friends still talk about that to this day. Permanently embedded in their souls.
#3. Living with Delco, Mo Ager, Paul Davis and Anthony Hamo. I tried not to even talking to them, but had my door open one day and they were curious why a senior was still living in the dorms ( um, it was free). Mo Ager spotted the cue card that they used for my name at The Price is Right, and we're tight for the test of the year. They were more at awe at me being in Price is Right then the guys on the floor were that they played basketball. Everytime they had friends over, they would ask for my Price is Right tape. I got so tired of them asking for the tape on literally a hour basis, I burned them a copy so they could keep it. I think Delco still has it.
4. 1999 vs scUM, most hyped Michigan MSU football game I can remember. I still think Floyd screwed up by not sticking with Brady the entire game.
5. 2001 @ Michigan, Basketball. We took over Ann Arbor and Michigan couldn't do a thing about it. One of my friends managed to infiltrate the Maize Rage and embarrassed them even more. He was never kicked out of the section.
This post was edited by tJYD 19 months ago
12177 Post before moving here. 10/29/11 will live forever in our hearts (plus 50 votes in the last 3 hours)
1. Hockey national title. It was a LOT of fun watching that group take down ND in Grand Rapids en route to the title.
2. Drew Neitzel almost single-handedly beating #1 Wisconsin. Big shot after big shot, it was incredible. Don't think I went to bed that night.
3. Beating PSU to close out the 2007 regular season in football. Dantonio's first year, capped with a great performance from Devin Thomas.
4. The 2009 Big Ten Title-winning basketball team, and their incredible run through some great teams in the tourney. Included in this: Durrell Summers making Stanley Robinson his bitch.
5. Dantonio getting his first win over Michigan in 2008. Lots of fun, that one.
tRCMB - Visit at your own risk of being disgusted.
This. Exactly the same for me. I'd have to put beating Wisconsin when number one down. They were so cocky for like two days, printed shirts about it and then got Neitzeled. Loved it.
Sparty > Walverines
Same for me...
1a. 2009 Final Four in Detroit (a Final 4 is always huge, but this one meant so much more being at "home")
1b. 2007 Hockey Title (it's a national championship, so I can't really put it as 2)
3. 2007 win over #1 Wisconsin
4. 2008 win over UM at the Big House
5. Gets tough for me here... 2006 vs. ND was pretty epic pre-meltdown; 2007 PSU game was amazing with the comeback to guarantee a bowl in D's first year; 2007 Illinois basketball was probably the loudest I ever heard Breslin and was huge in continuing our NCAA streak. I'd probably go with PSU game.
get the new Nike MSU font: http://tinyurl.com/spartansfont
I'm not 70 years old; but getting close.My Spartan years were 65-68.
Let's see what I can remember:
2 NCs in Football
2 NCs in soccer
Seeing what I believe to be the greatest college football team that has ever played in 1965.
Seeing great athletes like OJ and others in Spartan Stadium
Some personal moments also etched in my mind. "Bumping" into fullback Eddie Cotton, who was on the 64-65 football team, outside Brody; and me landing in a snowbank.
Throwing a football with Steve Garvey.
Pushing a go-cart on Circle Drive for some event (Springfest?); and losing to Sherman Lewis by a mile or two.
Being the 4th in a golf foursome with 3 coeds; and getting beat badly by all 3. I had no idea they were on the golf team; and one turned out to be Joyce Kazmierski who won the 1966 NCAA ladies golf title.
hoke- to alter or manipulate so as to give a deceptively or superficially improved quality or value.
1. Clockgate - I lost my voice for a week. After Duckett caught it I swear the whole student section just started jumping. It was pandemonium. That last drive was crazy to be at live. The way the clock stopped. The way we won. It was great.
2. 2009 Final Four Saturday in Detroit - The game was great, the day was great. I enjoyed seeing green everywhere in Detroit. I went to the championship Monday night too, the crowd before that game started was the most incredible I have ever seen. Sold out Ford Field doing Go Green Go White and singing the fight song was insane.
3. The Lucious 3 to beat Maryland was incredible. Kept the tourney run going, the last sequence, it was great.
4. Little Giants - that may have been the most stunned I have been at a game. We did what?
5. Rocket - the buildup to the game, the way it started out so poorly, the way we came back and had command, almost let it slip and then one of the crazier sequences. I wish it could of been called a touchdown on the field and that would be it. With all this review we're left to see something awesome like that, know its going to be reviewed and have to come down from it a little before having it verified.
I was at MSU for 4 of these 5 (Aug '99 to Dec '02) but I have to rearrange them a bit.
1. 2000 National Championship.
2. 2000 Citrus Bowl Win
3. 1999 victory over Michigan
4. 2001 Final Four
5. Smoker to Duckett 2001(you have to love Spartan Bob)
Honorable Mention(s): Smoker to Haygood to beat ND in 2000; and Smoker to Rogers vs. ND 2002 - the single greatest catch I ever saw live.......and we blew the game mere seconds later.
You were at MSU from 2001 to 2011? Van Wilder, is that you?
lol....started Fall 2000 graduated in 2004. I go up there for a lot of games...unless I misread the question if it was while you were a student at MSU only.
edit cause I read the thread title to confirm that I am in fact an idiot.
This post was edited by Spartanram 19 months ago
Lol no worries, man. My list would be identical to yours otherwise.
1. Korie Lucious (my senior year)
2. Little Giants (my senior year)
3. Back-to-back Final Fours (junior and senior years)
4. Losing to Notre Dame in the rain in 2006 (freshman year)
5. Losing to Iowa on the final play (senior year)
Yes, the final two items on my list sucked so much balls (as did losing to UNC in the title game), but I will never forget them.
What is that, a Titleist? A hole in one...
1) 2005 Final Four Run - watching MSU beat Duke an UK at the bars in EL and then going to FF in St. Louis.
2) MSU football crushes Wisconsin in 2004 - still the most fun I've had at a football game (although Little Giants and Rocket are close)
3) MSU vs. Kentucky @ Rupp - Drove down the morning of the game and got to watch Bograkas hit the game winner and then mingle with players on the floor after game
4) MSU vs. Syracuse @ Breslin - Chris Hill vs. Carmelo
5) Smoker to Duckett
Same years and remember rushing the field after the '93 win over um. I was in juds jungle the last two years and bball had some good victories one being a last second shot by I think Bethea to neat ok state with big country. Definitely were some lean years though.
Same timeframe for me. It was like a mini-dark ages for MSU sports, especially considering the success the 3 main sports, well maybe just basketball and hockey, had from 1997-2001.
Football was an absolute circus.
Basketball didn't win any B1G regular season or tourney titles and the 2 tourney runs they made were as a 5 and 7 seed. They were bounced in the first round each of the other 2 years.
Hockey didn't win any CCHA regular season or tournament titles and only made the NCAA tourney once only to get bounced in the first round.
1. 2005 Final Four, beat Duke and UK on the same weekend.
2. 2003 Elite 8 run, destroyed Florida in their backyard, beat the Terps in a tight game
3. 2001 vs. UM, "Watchout! Haygood, Watchout!!"
4. 2001 Cold War, Jim Slater sent the game to OT with 0:47 left
5. "I don't know", Bobby was finally shown the door
1) 2008 Red Wings win the Stanley Cup. Wings are my fav team
2) 2 wins over Michiganin a row
3) MSU beats UConn in the Final Four in Detroit
4) 2007 Hockey National Champioship
5) And He got it Korriiieeee Luciosssssss
In no particular order.
2000 NCAA Hoops Championship
2000 Citrus Bowl
2001 Michigan @ MSU Football. We won the game and we shouldn't have, lol.
2011 Outback Bowl
2000 Michigan @ MSU Hoops. Mateen and the Flintstones jailsex the scUMmers.
2000 was a good year.
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance
+1 Great thread. Fun reading all the responses. Thanks for starting.
btw, have you settled on a new handle?
We are the SPARTANS and They are NOT!!! [spartan 2]
I've been waiting for someone to mention this one. ABSOLUTELY FREAKING LOVED THIS GAME! and then Mateen's guarantee after the game that they were going to win the NCAA gave me chills!
1. Final Four in Detroit, just amazing to see 70,000 Spartans at Ford Field. Was 3rd in line as a student for the game and was front row. Unreal.
2. Rocket. Was so excited for that game, just unreal.
3. BTCG in Indy. Went with a ton of friends, got a hotel and drank all day. Spent only $90 on the ticket, hotel, gas, beer, and food. Was real fun.
4. UConn game. Watched it in the dorms freshmen year with about 20 people. Was my first real "Holy shit you are a student at Michigan State" moment. When Summers through that down I knew I was in the right place.
5. Final Four in Indy. That was amazing as well, second row for that. Was in line at 5am.
6. Buzzer Beater with Korie Lucious. Was in a buddies dorm with about 10 of us, about broke my friends jaw with my skull jumping around.
7. Little Giants. I ended up about 4 rows away from my original seat somehow.
8. OT vs Michigan. Same as number 7.
9. BTT against Penn State. Some gratifying.
10. OSU BTT win and getting the #1 seed, same as 9, very gratifying after a longggg Junior year.
Honorable mention: Win vs Kansas in tourny, Wisconsin last second FG, win vs Louisville for Final Four, every Michigan win, beating Ohio State on the road, Mens soccer vs Northwestern, WBB beating Duke at the Breslin, Aircraft carrier game, putting together the Izzo rally, welcome home rally after Louisville win.
Holy shit I had the best four year run over about any other school ever. Damn, how is a 50 yard fake field goal TD vs ND under the lights on national television number 7. Wow.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by Bailey1149 19 months ago
Michigan State University is the university of Michigan
Sorry I missed this, just now looking through my previous posts. Thanks! And not sure yet. Was thinking about going with GAUNArrhea.
This post was edited by KEARNDAWG 3 18 months ago
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports