In partnership with CBSSports.com
The largest and most active MSU Spartans board on the web
The place to ask questions to SpartanTailgate's recruiting experts
"The Duff" is dedicated to Michigan State football recruiting discussion
"The Bres" is dedicated to Michigan State basketball recruiting discussion
This is your pulpit to preach to the masses about everything from politics to religion
The place to buy, trade or sell Michigan State tickets
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
I have noticed a lot of threads about gambling lately(some started by me) and I figure we might as well condense into one. Also, right now we are in somewhat of a dead period of sports betting. Most people choose not to bet on baseball because it is very hard to make money doing so. As football starts soon, around now is the time to start up a thread like this.
A few key points:
1. Lately, a lot of people seem to be worried about whether betting on sports online is legal. Technically, it is legal. It is illegal to transfer funds for the purpose of sports betting. What happens is sports betting websites like Bovada and Bookmaker use processors that route your transaction as something completely different. When the Feds take these places over, they go after the bookie, not the bettor. There is some risk. If you cash out money, it is normally after you fill out a form and you will either receive a check or a debit card with your funds.
2. Why am I qualified to run this thread? I have bet on sports for over 15 years, from those stupid parlay cards some shady kids would run in your high school to betting in Vegas to betting online. There may be more experienced people on here, I am just taking the initiative.
3. How have I done? Over time, I have lost. Most people do. Only the most disciplined bettors win. So why bet? Price of entertainment. You will not come into this thread and make tons of money and pay your mortgage. You will win some, lose some, and hopefully we can hit better than 50 percent. Also, I access several sports betting message boards a day and over the years have learned who some of the better cappers are. I am just okay at capping. I will most likely post a lot of their picks and when I do so I will be sure to give them the credit. I am not a shill for any of these sites. I just enjoy it and I am sure there are others on here who enjoy betting on sports too.
4. My plan is to come on here, post some plays and see how it goes. If you choose to tail, great. If you have your own picks you would like to post, please do. I can make a post right after this and edit as needed to keep records. Than you can tail or fade someone's picks as you see fit. Please note, if you do post picks, and want to be tracked, let me know and please make sure you are actually playing these picks. Try and give a write-up and not just post Detroit Tigers -200. Give an idea of how strong you feel about the pick. If you are not betting, feel free to give your opinions. For purposes of tracking, I will not be looking at units played. Rather, I would more or less look at the odds on the pick. For example, if you bet the Tigers -200 and they lost that game. I would say you are at -2 overall. If they won that game, I would say you are at +1. This encourages people to find value. At the end of the day, that is what sports betting is all about.
5. Feel free to ask any questions. I will try to answer it. If I can't, I am sure someone else will.
Hopefully this can make the coming football season a little more enjoyable. Feel free to post on any sport as well. Money is money, I don't care if we are betting on cricket fighting.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by Spartanram 16 months ago
I think I'm going to scrap this part..I don't think anyone really cares. I'm up so far on posted plays, though probably not too much. I think I'm either 6-4 or 7-4. One of the threads I like tracks what they refer to as locks. I like that system.
This post has been edited 8 times, most recently by Spartanram 16 months ago
Following a capper I respect:
Soccer play - Over 2.5 in the England Conference Game between Newport and Nuneaton. Juice is high at -140. Betting 140 to win 100.
No write-up as it is a tail. And to follow up on before, I don't care if it is not your play. A winner is a winner in my book.
Winner in the 53rd Minute. Pretty damn good and early for a soccer over I might add.
What's a good site to use? Never bet online and its always seemed a bit shady. Is it really safe, and will I actually get my money if I win? I want to start blindly betting my spartiessss!
Tiges and the under tonite.
Football is my thing so take it fwiw. Lol
Bovada or Bookmaker are the ones I use. They both are fine. When Bodog was almost in trouble, they changed to Bovada. Bookmaker.com became Bookmaker.eu. It is a little shady. These two sites are a little more reputable, even though they can play some games too (slow cash outs for example). Bookmaker is known for handling bigger action.
You will get your money if you win. And bet at your own risk. There will be winners and there will be losers. Just gotta hope for more winners.
I didn't post it because it was really a more for entertainment play but I did bet the series at -160 yesterday. Odds are a little high but I do think the Tigers will win. Not sure if there is a ton of value in it. I would lean under 9 as well because Fister is hot right now and I don't think we crush Duensing. Our bats haven't been exactly lighting it up lately.
I'm like you, trying to be patient and wait for football season before I post picks I like on here. I just saw the one capper I like today on soccer totals said to go large on this and he rarely says that.
I like the over 8 in Angels/Indians but not sure I am gonna pull the trigger on it. Baseball is just hard to win at.
So how big of a pain in the ass is it to fund Bovada? I bet with Bitcoins last year, but would love to use a legit book that I can fund via debit/gift cards. Not comfortable with EFT.
I've been able to use credit card to deposit on there. Looks like they charge a 4.9% fee. I have been using Bookmaker for all of 2012. They also take my card. Note you may get dinged a small for exchange fee. For me it is easy.
I just started using Bookmaker Sunday, paid $104.25 for $100 on the site.
Sucks but looks like that is becoming standard.
$4.25 is fine with me, one of my buddies was betting on a site (cant remember the name off hand) but I know he said he put $175 on the site, paid $200 for it after the fees. So $4.25 is much more reasonable.
I have a small-time account on betonline.ag.
I'm telling you right now, college basketball favorite moneyline parlays are GOLD. I increased my money 7 fold from when I started using them until I lost discipline and went back to straight up bets (granted, I only went from $5 to $35, but it's all about the proportions). And it wasn't 1 'big' bet, I made 35-40 wagers and still multiplied my money. It is ridiculously easy to simply avoid upset-vulnerable teams in cbb.
21 point teasers with some ML parlays are going to be my jam this football season. 21 point teasers are RIDICULOUS when you actually look at the lines that you can create- ND -4.5 vs Navy, Stanford -4.5 vs San Jose State, Texas -8 vs Wyoming, etc. Obviously terrible odds, but it's so low risk that it really doesn't matter.
I look forward to your picks. We can track it and see how well they do.
In my opinion, college basketball is the easiest to win. There are so many games that it is impossible for all of the lines to be sharp. There is also a guy I tail who is really good. 60%+...he only posts about 25 picks a season. I wish I had his discipline.
Wish i had bet that Angels over. 10 runs through 4 innings. Being selective is not easy.
Too bad we don't have vBookie soI can once again assert my dominance over all of you (except 2-3 per year). Without vBookie it's all conjecture.
Why not throw a hundred bucks in an account and show us what ya got. I'll be happy to track it.
Bet number 2 will be my futures bet that I talked about in other threads. MSU +400 to win the Legends Division. This is currently available on Bookmaker and unfortunately I just moved the line on the site to +350 with the bet I just placed. As a result, I will grade it as either +$350 dollars or -$100. I did some analysis on it which if I am able at work this afternoon I can put out there.
I've actually had a good run the last couple days but nothing was strong enough that I wanted to post on here. I'm looking hard at the Phillies-Brewers over 7.5 Line seems fishy so I may lay off or go small. Not a posted play though.
@Michigan State -2.5
@Michigan State -2.5
@Ohio State -4.5
@ Michigan -5.5
@Michigan State -5
@Ohio State -4
Found these lines on future games on 5 Dimes if any of you are bored and care to discuss. I think if I could get MSU -2.5 against Notre Dame in a few weeks I would bet that large. MSU with revenge from last year on their minds. Being off the key number of 3 is huge.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by Spartanram 23 months ago
Any good promotions for joining some of the books? I have held a 5dimes account for a while but curious about some other sites. Any places less shady than others from some of you guy's experience?
Bookmaker sucks on bonuses. Bovada is okay. Just read the fine print and know cash is better than free play. I would check that sportsbook review site. It should tell you what has good bonuses and what not.
I know it's been said before, but the craziest line to me is still Michigan -5.5 vs. MSU. So you're telling me MSU is a bigger underdog vs. Michigan than any of the other listed underdogs vs. their opponents in these 9 games?
Agreed....it is why I loved getting MSU +400 and was willing to put a grand on it. Mich is just getting way too much respect by the bettors. And if MSU wins this game I'd be shocked if they didn't win the division. We have the easiest schedule of us, Nebraska, and Mich because our tough games are at home. There is no game on our schedule that I don't think we have a shot in. I think our toughest game is at Wisky and that may be our letdown game. I like that we are on revenge against Nebraska the week after that.
After Mich drops games against Alabama, ND and Purdue, we could even be favored in that game.
Due to the scheduling it would seem thatW Wiscy game would be our letdown game, but I just don't see it. Our guys are going to be more fired up to play Wiscy than any other opponent after the crushing defeat in Indy. (scUM obviously up there too)
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports